Happy 4th of July from Raine Inc.! Here are some interesting facts:
- The Fourth of July is the date that our forefathers signed the Declaration of Independence by the Continental Congress in Philadelphia in 1776.
- The first official 4th of July party was in 1777 (a year later) in Philadelphia. Warships along the docks fired a 13-gun salute in honor of the 13 states. The soldiers who were in the area, paraded through the streets.
- July 4th has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1941, but the tradition of Independence Day celebrations goes back to the 18th century and the American Revolution (1775-83).
- It was John Adams who wrote his wife and said that the event should be celebrated with pomp and circumstance, parades, shows, games and more. What a forward thinker! What he described is the Fourth of July Celebration as we know it today.
- The word “fireworks” didn’t come about until 1777 when the first Fourth of July celebration took place. Before that, they were called “rockets.” Because they were more visual, they called them “fireworks.” Later on, the ones that were made for noise (and not beauty) were called “fire crackers.” In 1880, “sparklers” were produced.
For a complete list of Raine’s products, go to http://raineinc.com. Click here to become a fan of Raine’s on Facebook and receive 10% off your online order.